Sophomore Natalie Escher and freshman Vashti Elias-Romero found themselves in the deciding match on Friday morning against the Fullerton College Hornets as the contest was knotted up at two-all after four matches had been completed. The match drifted into three sets with the contest going blow for blow. The talented duo rose to the occasion and sealed a three-set victory, thus handing Riverside a 3-2 win over the Hornets in Orange Empire Conference (OEC) action.
Elias-Romero and Escher, who have comprised the top team for the Tigers all season, were electric in the final set. After dropping the first set, 19-21, the duo dug themselves from a hole in the second set to win 22-20. They worked towards a 15-7 win in the third set.
Freshman Jasmin Urban and sophomore Patricia Brucks earned a dominant two-set win with the final scores reading 21-12, 22-20. Sophomore tandem Roni Lopez and Telanni Childs worked to a three-set win after dropping the first set by a five-point spread., They finished the match with a win with scores reading 16-21, 21-10, 15-9.
All scores are listed below and on the results tab.
Riverside defeats Fullerton, 3-2
1. Natalie Escher/Vashti Elias-Romero (RCC) defeats Amanda Henderson/Lauren Schaefer (FULL) (19-21, 22-20, 15-7)
2. Samantha Linares/Kailyn Case (FULL) defeats Sadie Arganda/Kayla Mckinnon (RCC) (15-21, 22- 24)
3. Jasmin Urban/Patricia Brucks (RCC) defeats Andrea Lopez/Carlie Ortega (FULL) (21-12, 22-20)
4. Roni Lopez/Telanni Childs (RCC) defeats Holly Call/Sole Mitchell-Hall (FULL) (16-21, 21-10, 15- 9)
5. Rebecca Hicks/Syndey Noswworthy (FULL) defeats Madison Hernandez/Morgan Spencer (RCC) (18-21, 21-13, 9-15)